I feel like there has been a big trend taking place recently. What is that trend you ask?
Books to Movies
Movies Based on Books
Whatever you would like to call it, it has recently taken over the movie industry. I feel like it is the only thing anyone can talk about lately. It is all over social media. It also seems to be favoring YA books. I know this has always happened, but I feel like lately it is very present and a lot all at once.If you were curious and haven’t been paying attention/live in a cave or just haven’t heard. Here is a list of some Ya novels with movie plans in the future (as of right now)
- Mockingjay by Suzanne Collins (Which will be split into two parts and follow the previous two books which came out in 2012 and 2013 and Mockingjay is set to come out in the fall of 2014 (pt.1) and 2015 (pt.2)
- Insurgent by Veronica Roth (Divergent just came out this spring and Insurgent is set to follow next spring (2015))
- The Fault in Our Stars by John Green (June 6th 2014)
- The Giver by Lois Lowry (August 15th 2014)
- The Maze Runner by James Dashner (September 19th 2014. And one I am really excited for because of Dylan O’Brien!)
- If I Stay by Gayle Forman (August 22nd 2014)
- Fallen by Lauren Kate (2015)
- The Chronicles of Narnia: The Silver Chair & The Magicians Newphew by C.S Lewis (neither has a set date but is in the works)
- Mrs. Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children by Ransom Riggs (July 31st 2015 and is being directed by Tim Burton!)
- Daughter of Smoke and Bone by Laini Taylor (in development)
- Angelfall by Susan Ee (in development)
- The Raven Boys and Scorpio Races by Maggie Stiefvater (in development)
- The Uglies by Scott Westerfeld (in development)
- Graceling by Kristin Cashore (it says 2014 but has no other information so I don’t believe it will be this year)
- Obsidian by Jennifer L. Armentrout (in development)
- A Great and Terrible Beauty by Libba Bray (in development)
These are just some of the many that are in the works. Here are so sources you can go to in order to check out more if you feel so inclined.
I am not sure how I feel about all of these. Sometimes I really enjoy when a movie comes out that is based on a book I love. Other times the adaptation is horrible and such a waste of money. The other thing I don’t like is all the hype that the book gets because of the movie. I should preface this by saying its great for the author that a bunch a people go out and buy the book and support the author and fandom. This thing I dislike is that people only read it for the purpose of reading it before the movie and do not even care about the wonders the books truly hold! Sometimes its those people that can ruin the book for me. Also I think it deters people from reading the book because why read it when you can just watch the movie. I also am really beginning to had how they split movies into parts. The Mockingjay most definitely (in my opinion) does not have enough to be split into two parts and I feel like it is the movie industry just trying to make more money. The fact that the Lord of the Rings movies were each their own and the books are so much bigger than The Hobbit, but yet the Hobbit is being split into three parts.
I will end my rant now! If you stuck around to read this far I applaud you!
So what are your thoughts on the growing trend and popularity of Book to Movie adaptations. I would love to here some other thoughts/opinions/ what one you are most looking forward/etc.