I felt like it was a good time to start wrapping up the year. I know there is still some time left in 2014 and I am hoping to read a few more books before the year is up, but it won’t cause my results to be that different. I saw this survey done by Jamie @Perpetual Page-Turner ! She is also doing a giveaway for those who complete this survey and link up their post so that is always fun! I had a pretty great year in books and other bookish things and cant wait to see what the next year brings! I would love to see your posts if you decide to participate! (all the graphics were taken from Jamie’s post @Perpetual Page-Turner)
Number Of Books You Read: 103 books (Dec. 20)
Number of Re-Reads: 2
Genre You Read The Most From: Young Adult
1. Best Book You Read In 2014?
(If you have to cheat — you can break it down by genre if you want or 2014 release vs. backlist)
This is a very hard question. I made a list of my top 14 but I guess if I have to pick just one from that list I would have to say A Monster Calls by Patrick Ness. But it is so hard because I loved all 14 of them for different reasons.
2. Book You Were Excited About & Thought You Were Going To Love More But Didn’t?
The Fall by Bethany Griffin. I think this was one of my most anticipated books for this year and I was just a little disappointed with it. I gave it a 3.5 stars, but I think I was very generous with that rating. A few other ones were Horns by Joe Hill and Landline by Rainbow Rowell.
3. Most surprising (in a good way or bad way) book you read in 2014?
Dark Lover by J.R. Ward. I did not think that I would enjoy it as much as I did because I have a thing against romance novels.
4. Book You “Pushed” The Most People To Read (And They Did) In 2014?
With this one I am not really sure, but the book that I kept recommending to everyone was The Lies of Locke Lamora by Scott Lynch!
5. Best series you started in 2014?Best Sequel of 2014? Best Series Ender of 2014?
I think the best series I started would have to be The Lunar Chronicles by Marissa Meyer. Which also includes what I think was the best sequel I read in 2014 Scarlet by Marissa Meyer. As for the best series ender I read I think it would have to be Lioness Rampant by Tamora Pierce or Last Sacrifice by Richelle Mead.
6. Favorite new author you discovered in 2014?
I just got really back into reading this year so it is so hard to pick just one! I do have a post including my top ten!
7. Best book from a genre you don’t typically read/was out of your comfort zone?
This year I started reading contemporary and new adult which I never read much of it and although I have enjoyed some (more New Adult than YA romance and contemporary) it is still not my favorite genre. So I would have to say How We Fall by Kate Brauning, which is a YA contemporary/romance thriller.
8. Most action-packed/thrilling/unputdownable book of the year?
This was another tough one. I think I would have to say either Half A King by Joe Abercrombie or City of Stairs by Robert Jackson Bennett.
9. Book You Read In 2014 That You Are Most Likely To Re-Read Next Year?
I could see myself re-read a couple of the books I read this year, A Monster Calls by Patrick Ness, How We Fall by Kate Brauning or Ocean at the End of the Lane by Neil Gaiman.
10. Favorite cover of a book you read in 2014?
11. Most memorable character of 2014?
Besides all the swoon worthy male characters? I would have to say one of my favorite characters and one that I found most relatable and a girl after my own heart in matters of sarcasm is Rose Hathaway from the Vampire Academy Series!
12. Most beautifully written book read in 2014?
Although I wasn’t completely happy with how this book ended etc. (even though thinking about it I think it has a higher rating than I gave it) I am so totally in love with Tahereh Mafi’s writing. So my choice for this would be Ignite Me by Tahereh Mafi.
13. Most Thought-Provoking/ Life-Changing Book of 2014?
The Giver by Lois Lowry. It was my 4th or 5th time re-reading it and each time is a different experience and really makes me thinks about the way I view life.
14. Book you can’t believe you waited UNTIL 2014 to finally read?
Song of the Lioness Quartet by Tamora Pierce
15. Favorite Passage/Quote From A Book You Read In 2014?
“But there is something about the darkness, the stillness of this hour, I think, that creates a language of its own. There’s a strange kind of freedom in the dark; a terrifying vulnerability we allow ourselves at exactly the wrong moment, tricked by the darkness into thinking it will keep our secrets. We forget that the blackness is not a blanket; we forget that the sun will soon rise. But in the moment, at least, we feel brave enough to say the things we’d never say in the light.”
-Tahereh Mafi, Ignite Me
16.Shortest & Longest Book You Read In 2013?
Shortest- Messenger by Lois Lowry
Longest- Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire by J.K Rowling
17. Book That Shocked You The Most
(Because of a plot twist, character death, left you hanging with your mouth wide open, etc.)
The books in the Gentleman Bastard series. The way that Scott Lynch crafts a story is so amazing. The stories are beautifully woven together with loads of shocks and twist.
18. OTP OF THE YEAR (you will go down with this ship!)
(OTP = one true pairing if you aren’t familiar)
Although I am a huge fan of Rose and Dimitri from Vampire Academy I have to say I am so team Roth and Layla from the Dark Elements Series!
19. Favorite Non-Romantic Relationship Of The Year
Locke Lamora and Jean Tannen from the Gentleman Bastard Series by Scott Lynch.
20. Favorite Book You Read in 2014 From An Author You’ve Read Previously
I do not believe I have any books that qualify in this.
21. Best Book You Read In 2014 That You Read Based SOLELY On A Recommendation From Somebody Else/Peer Pressure:
Harry Potter of course!
22. Newest fictional crush from a book you read in 2014?
Is it even possible to pick just one. I think I need to create a new list of fictional boyfriends because I have found so many new ones this year! Top 3 would have to be Dimitri Belikov from Vampire Academy, Wolf from the Lunar Chronicles and Warner from the Shatter Me trilogy! But than there are all the Raven Boys and I almost forgot about Roth from The Dark Elements Trilogy. Definitely Roth, he is my pick!
23. Best 2014 debut you read?
How We Fall by Kate Brauning, Love and Other Unknown Variable by Shannon Lee Alexander and Hexed by Michelle Krys.
24. Best Worldbuilding/Most Vivid Setting You Read This Year?
This would have gone to the Gentleman Bastard Series by Scott Lynch, but I just finished City of Stairs by Robert Jackson Bennett and it was amazing! The world is so interesting and I felt like I knew exactly what the whole world looked liked as if I have been there. Another good one is The Seventh Friend by Tim Stead, he is very detailed in his writing.
25. Book That Put A Smile On Your Face/Was The Most FUN To Read?
The Harry Potter books by J.K. Rowling (1-4) and the Song of the Lioness Quartet by Tamora Pierce
26. Book That Made You Cry Or Nearly Cry in 2014?
Too many. A Monster Calls by Patrick Ness, Love and Other Unknown Variables by Shannon Lee Alexander, Reason To Breathe by Rebecca Donovan
27. Hidden Gem Of The Year?
The Seventh Friend by Tim Stead.
28. Book That Crushed Your Soul?
A Monster Calls by Patrick Ness
29. Most Unique Book You Read In 2014?
The Raven Boys by Maggie Stiefvater and The Girl and the Clockwork Cat by Nikki McCormick.
30. Book That Made You The Most Mad (doesn’t necessarily mean you didn’t like it)?
Shadow Kiss by Richelle Mead, because of things you would understand if you have read it.
1. New favorite book blog you discovered in 2014?
This is quite a book blog but Epic Reads! I absolutely love watching their youtube videos and have learned so much from them. I have many other favorites as well!
2. Favorite review that you wrote in 2014?
None. I do not think I am the best at writing reviews. I have a really hard time getting my thought written together so they make sense and such. I am working on it though.
3. Best discussion/non-review post you had on your blog?
I have a lot of fun with both my How To… blog posts as well as my Book Blogger Shout-outs !
4. Best event that you participated in (author signings, festivals, virtual events, memes, etc.)?
Top Ten Tuesday by Broke & Bookish! It is what lead me to so many great blogs.
5. Best moment of bookish/blogging life in 2014?
Getting my first physical ARC! I was so super excited when I was asked and received it! And then for my blog just being told that other people enjoy my blog. I started this as a thing for myself, but I have been able to meet so many people and discover so many new things through my blog. I am just so grateful and appreciative.
7. Most Popular Post This Year On Your Blog (whether it be by comments or views)?
My 5 Book Challenge that I hosted for Bout of Books 11!
8. Post You Wished Got A Little More Love?
I am not really sure about this one.
9. Best bookish discover (book related sites, book stores, etc.)?
Bookoutlet ! It takes all my money! Also Craftedvan etsy shop because their bookmarks are beyond adorable.
10. Did you complete any reading challenges or goals that you had set for yourself at the beginning of this year?
My goodreads goal was originally 50 books and I surpassed that and then I reset it for 100 books and also surpassed that one! I also completed 12+ series this year (some of them are completed up to publication)
1. One Book You Didn’t Get To In 2014 But Will Be Your Number 1 Priority in 2015?
There are so many it is hard to choose just one! I also have things happening in 2015 that will make it hard for me to read a lot (more to come on this subject at the beginning of 2015) I really want to read something by Brandon Sanderson or Throne of Glass by Sarah J Maas.
2. Book You Are Most Anticipating For 2015 (non-debut)?
Half The World by Joe Abercrombie! To see other books I am anticipating in 2015 check out this post!
3. 2015 Debut You Are Most Anticipating?
Red Queen by Victoria Aveyard!!!!! Most Definitely Also Beacause You’ll Never Meet Me by Leah Thomas (let me just say that feel weird to write that) I went to high school with her and her family is a friend of my family so I can’t wait to get my hands on her books!
4. Series Ending/A Sequel You Are Most Anticipating in 2015?
Every Last Breath by Jennifer L. Armentrout the third and final book in the Dark Elements Trilogy! TEAM ROTH!
5. One Thing You Hope To Accomplish Or Do In Your Reading/Blogging Life In 2015?
Actually be able to read and keep up with my blog because of things that are happening in my life that will limit my access to such things.
6. A 2015 Release You’ve Already Read & Recommend To Everyone:
I haven’t had the chance to read any, but I do have a advanced copy of The Walls Around Us by Nova Ren Suma and plan to read it next!