I saw this survey done by Jamie @Perpetual Page-Turner and first participated in this in 2014 ! I had an okay year with reading, definitely not where I thought I would be but read some great books and planning for an awesome 2018! I would love to see your posts if you decide to participate! (all the graphics were taken from Jamie’s post @Perpetual Page-Turner)
Number Of Books You Read: 44
Number of Re-Reads: 1
Genre You Read The Most From: Paranormal Romance
1. Best Book You Read In 2017?
Picking 1 book is always so hard. I am going to say Haven by Mary Lindsay. There were lots that could have been in this spot and I have made a top books of 2017! I think I have to say Haven because it surprised me and was better than I expected and provided so much more than normal YA paranormal romances do.
2. Book You Were Excited About & Thought You Were Going To Love More But Didn’t?
I think the one that most fits this in Girl On The Train by Paula Hawkins.
3. Most surprising (in a good way or bad way) book you read in 2017?
The book that that was the most surprising read for me was Night Film by Marisha Pessl! I was not sure what to expect and had heard some good reviews but the incorporation of other media in the story and the overall feel was so good!
4. Book You “Pushed” The Most People To Read (And They Did) In 2017?
I don’t really think I pushed any books on people this year.
5. Best series you started in 2017?Best Sequel of 2017? Best Series Ender of 2017?
I started quite a few series this year but I think the best one, in my opinion was Moon Called by Patricia Briggs in the Mercy Thompson series.
I did not read many sequels or continuations this year, but I really enjoyed Walk the Edge by Katie McGarry
6. Favorite new author you discovered in 2017?
I have to say it would be a tie between Cat Winters and Patricia Briggs!
7. Best book from a genre you don’t typically read/was out of your comfort zone?
I really want to get into more nonfiction and have been saying this forever, but the 2 books I read that were nonfiction this year were amazing! Between The World And Me by Ta-Nehisis Coates and On Tyranny by Timothy Snyder .
8. Most action-packed/thrilling/unputdownable book of the year?
I would have to say Dark Matter by Blake Crouch had me on the edge of my seat the whole time I was reading it!
9. Book You Read In 2017 That You Are Most Likely To Re-Read Next Year?
Because it is so short and has such a good message/words I definitely will be reading On Tyranny by Timothy Snyder again!
10. Favorite cover of a book you read in 2017?
11. Most memorable character of 2017?
The character that my mind keeps going back to is from the first book I read this year, Alexia Tarabotti from Soulless by Gail Carriger. She was so feisty, sassy and a strong independent women that I cannot wait to dive into more of the parasol protectorate books in 2018!
12. Most beautifully written book read in 2017?
RoseBlood by A.G Howard .I absolutely adore the way in which A.G Howard writes! The story is so beautiful and so much life and description creating an atmosphere are put in the words.
13. Most Thought-Provoking/ Life-Changing Book of 2017?
This is another book I would consider rereading, it really made me think and is relevant to our society today, Anthem by Ayn Rand.
14. Book you can’t believe you waited UNTIL 2017 to finally read?
Moon Called by Patricia Briggs, I have a feeling I am really going to love the Mercy Thompson Universe!
15. Favorite Passage/Quote From A Book You Read In 2017?
“We all hold a beast inside. The only difference is what form it takes when freed.”
― Mary Lindsey, Haven
“I need to know why I’m so broken, so I can fix myself. One way or another. Maybe this place can help me do that, and then I can finally look forward to my future. Because I’m starting to realize there’s something worse than stepping up and facing your fears – and that’s living as if you’re already dead.”
― A.G. Howard, RoseBlood
16.Shortest & Longest Book You Read In 2017?
Shortest: Alpha & Omega by Patricia Briggs
Longest: Night Film by Marish Pessl
17. Book That Shocked You The Most
(Because of a plot twist, character death, left you hanging with your mouth wide open, etc.)
I have to say that their were a few books that had some shockers, I have to say one of the stranger ones was Yesternight by Cat Winters. I was not really expecting it and I think that was why I have to say it is the one that shocked me the most.
18. OTP OF THE YEAR (you will go down with this ship!)
(OTP = one true pairing if you aren’t familiar)
Willowdean and Bo from Dumplin’ by Julie Murphy!
19. Favorite Non-Romantic Relationship Of The Year
Oz, Chevy and Razor from the Thunder Roads series by Katie McGarry.
20. Favorite Book You Read in 2017 From An Author You’ve Read Previously
Salt to the Sea by Ruta Sepetys
21. Best Book You Read In 2017 That You Read Based SOLELY On A Recommendation From Somebody Else/Peer Pressure:
Everything, Everything by Nicola Yoon
22. Newest fictional crush from a book you read in 2017?
Wow this is hard to pick just one so I am not going to. Freddie Burkhart from Haven by Mary Lindsay, Mercy Thompson from the Mercy Thompson series by Patricia Briggs and the boys from the Thunder Roads series by Katie McGarry!
23. Best 2017 debut you read?
(I am pretty sure this was a debut) The Disappearances by Emily Bain Murphy
24. Best Worldbuilding/Most Vivid Setting You Read This Year?
Ancillary Justice by Ann Leckie. At times it was a little hard to follow but it was so descriptive and so much going on in a world completely different than anything I have read.
25. Book That Put A Smile On Your Face/Was The Most FUN To Read?
Adulthood Is A Myth by Sarah Andersen. I was laughing the whole time and it was so relatable.
26. Book That Made You Cry Or Nearly Cry in 2017?
Carry On Warrior by Glennon Doyle Melton. I read this as I was going through some things in my personal life and I was definitely crying at some parts.
27. Hidden Gem Of The Year?
The Disappearances by Emily Bain Murphy . This was one I stumbled upon and has not gotten much notice this year but was really good!
28. Book That Crushed Your Soul?
I cannot think of any book that crushed my soul, I am currently reading The Book Thief and I have a feeling that this book will probably be the one to crush my soul.
29. Most Unique Book You Read In 2017?
Ancillary Justice by Ann Leckie. This book was so different than anything I have ever read, so definitely unique to me.
30. Book That Made You The Most Mad (doesn’t necessarily mean you didn’t like it)?
1. New favorite book blog you discovered in 2017?
There are too many to pick just one! I am going to be doing a separate post about this.
2. Favorite review that you wrote in 2017?
I am still working on getting better at reviews. I always read others and get so jealous that they are able to put into words what I was feeling/thinking so much better than myself. I really did like my Gillian Flynn| Author Exploration
3. Best discussion/non-review post you had on your blog?
Well my most viewed discussion/non-review was 8th Annual #TBTBSanta. I really want to start doing more discussion posts in 2018.
4. Best event that you participated in (author signings, festivals, virtual events, memes, etc.)?
Well in the book community I really loved participating in #otspsecretsister and #tbtbsanta but blogwise, I really enjoyed participating in the House Cup Reading Challenge .
5. Best moment of bookish/blogging life in 2017?
The outpouring of support from the bookish community after all of the different things that happened in my life this year. I was feeling pretty alone and like I had no one to turn to, but those people in the online book community proved that even though we have never met each other in real life they would be there for me and help to cheer me up and cheer me on!
7. Most Popular Post This Year On Your Blog (whether it be by comments or views)?
Swag Inspired by A Court of Thorns and Roses by Sarah J Maas
8. Post You Wished Got A Little More Love?
My Books Best Friend | Bookmark & Candle Edition
9. Best bookish discover (book related sites, book stores, etc.)?
I discovered a lot of different bookish things this year! I started participating in #otspsecretsister , which has been so much fun and I love the community. I also stumbled upon many different etsy shops that sell bookish goodies. One of my new favorite candle shops Dio Candle Co. you can check out my first box from them here!
10. Did you complete any reading challenges or goals that you had set for yourself at the beginning of this year?
I fell short on all of my goals, but I had a lot going on this year and I am just proud of myself of those things that I have accomplished and the progress I made. 2018 is going to be a better year.
1. One Book You Didn’t Get To In 2017 But Will Be Your Number 1 Priority in 2018?
City of Blades by Robert Jackson Bennett. I think this was on my tbr probably like every month. I need to get to it ASAP so I can submit the review to the company I received it from, plus I enjoyed the first book in this series so much.
2. Book You Are Most Anticipating For 2018 (non-debut)?
When The Light Left Us by Leah Thomas
3. 2018 Debut You Are Most Anticipating?
Ash Princess by Laura Sebastian
4. Series Ending/A Sequel You Are Most Anticipating in 2018?
Restore Me by Tahereh Mafi
5. One Thing You Hope To Accomplish Or Do In Your Reading/Blogging Life In 2018?
Complete some series and books that have been sitting on my shelf forever! #beatthebacklist
6. A 2018 Release You’ve Already Read & Recommend To Everyone:
I have only read one 2018 release so far and it was By A Charm And A Curse by Jamie Questell.