As the end of the year is just around the corner I thought it would be a good idea to wrap-up my Top Ten Tuesday: Bookish Bucket List for 2014. If you haven’t seen them before, every month I have been updating my progress made upon my list throughout the year. I enjoyed pushing myself and trying to expand my horizons and bookish taste!
Top Ten Things On My Bookish Bucket List (2014)
Read (complete) at least 50 book. I never imagined at the beginning of the year that by getting back into reading and starting a book blog I would also read over 100 books! (My current total is 103 with a few days left!)
2. Finish Anna Karenina. I did not have high hopes for completing this goal this year. If you don’t know this is a very intimidating book. I had started this book 3 years ago and I am about half way through (400 pages). My problem is I don’t remember everything since it is a big of a tough read and I know I will have to start over and that seems like a near difficult task. I will finish this one day hopefully because I really was enjoying it.
Start the Harry Potter Series Although I did not finish the series like I wanted to I did complete this task by starting the series! I have read up to the 5th book! I am upset with myself that I did not reading these growing up (I did try to read the first one many times) I just had different taste in books and it just wasn’t quite my thing.
4. Complete all of my unfinished book reviews. With almost a week left in the year I am really hoping to at least get all caught up in my reviews and pre schedule them. I am hoping to start the new year all caught up on everything and start fresh!
Read at least one classic. I need to read more of these. I own so many and I am interested in quite a few its just they seem to take longer to read and my attention span has not proven very handy for that. But I did read Brave New World by Aldous Huxley, The Giver by Lois Lowry and The Handmaid’s Tale by Margaret Atwood.
Step out of my comfort zone of YA Fiction and read at least one biography/nonfiction work. I am very happy with my variety of reading this year. I really dipped into a large range of different books and genres. I did happen to read an autobiography and a self-helpish type of book. Next year I am really hoping to read some more as I find them extremely interesting.
7. Complete at least 3 series. This was not something I was able to achieve. Although I did happen to finish two series with more 4 or more books. I was able to complete quite a few trilogies and duologies and caught up to publication on a few.
Break into the adult fiction genre more. (at least 3) Although I did not read any strictly adult fiction books. I did break into the overall adult genre, mainly Fantasy. I read the first two books in Scott Lynch’s Gentleman Bastard series, The Seventh Friend by Tim Stead, City of Stairs by Robert Jackson Bennett, Landline by Rainbow Rowell and The Wedding by Nicolas Sparks!
9. Read more of the books on my shelves before buying more. This is a funny and silly thing to ask of a book lover and addict. Over the next year I will be partaking in something that will make it near impossible for me to purchase books so I will hopefully be able to catch up and make a dent in my TBR pile!
10. Complete a book that is 800pgs or more. I was close with a few books. I do have books on my shelf that meet this demand I just find them so intimidating!
So it looks like 5/10 goals are completed. So being able to complete half on my first year seems like quite an accomplishment!
Overall I am happy with my accomplishments and although I did not complete everything on the list I did a lot better than I quite expected!