In anticipation of Iron Cast being released October 11th 2016 ! Here is my interview with Destiny Soria!
It’s Boston, 1919, and the Cast Iron club is packed. On stage, hemopaths—whose “afflicted” blood gives them the ability to create illusions through art—captivate their audience. Corinne and Ada have been best friends ever since infamous gangster Johnny Dervish recruited them into his circle. By night they perform for Johnny’s crowds, and by day they con Boston’s elite. When a job goes wrong and Ada is imprisoned, they realize how precarious their position is. After she escapes, two of the Cast Iron’s hires are shot, and Johnny disappears. With the law closing in, Corinne and Ada are forced to hunt for answers, even as betrayal faces them at every turn.
INTERVIEW WITH DESTINY
-Top 5 Things readers need to know about the book
- It’s set in Boston, just before the ratification of Prohibition in 1919.
- Corinne and Ada, the main characters, are BFFs whose hobbies include poetry, music, kicking ass, and taking names.
- The girls are up against a creepy asylum, a corrupt councilman, and a sinister government agency.
- The book is chock full of magic, mobsters, betrayal, and intrigue.
- Also socialists.
– Who/What was your inspiration for becoming a writer? How long have you been writing?
Stories have been a part of my life for as long as I can remember. My dad used to tell me bedtime stories every night when I was a kid. When I was seven or eight, I decided to try my hand at it and wrote a book called “Horses of All Kinds” (complete with illustrations and staple binding). I’ve been writing ever since.
– Which of your characters would you say you are most like?
I guess I probably have the most in common with Corinne, in that I also love poetry, am quite short, and am a perpetual smartass.
– If your book was to be turned into a movie who would you cast as your leads?
I think Jasmin Savoy Brown would make a lovely Ada. And Zoey Deutch has the perfect amount of sass to be Corinne.
– Did you have to research anything for your book?
So. Much. Research. I am also not the best at keeping myself focused, so a lot of the research time was spent falling into rabbit holes of Youtube videos of old Model T’s and looking at pretty flapper dresses.
– In 5 words how would you describe Iron Cast?
An excess of witty banter.
– If your characters were in the hunger games who’d win? Which Hogwarts house would your main character be in?
Is it cheating to say that Corinne and Ada would probably pull a Katniss/Peeta at the very end with the berries? Also Corinne is a Slytherin and Ada is a Gryffindor. Hurray for unlikely friendships!
– What’s on your playlist? Does the music go with your book?
There’s a pretty bizarre mix of 1920s tunes, Metric, Bastille, The Asteroids Galaxy Tour, and even some TSwift. When it comes to creating a writing playlist, I usually pick songs that remind me of characters or capture the “feel” of the story. One of these days I’ll probably make it public, so stay tuned! (See what I did there?)
Meet the Author:
Twitter & Instagram: @thedestinysoria